Supplement FactsServing Size: 1 Tbsp (15mL)
Servings per container: 30
Amount Per Serving 1 Tbsp %DVfor Children under 4 years of age %DVfor Adults and Children 4 or more years of age
Calories 60 Calories from Fat 45 Total Fat 5g 8* Saturated Fat 1g 5* Trans Fat 0g † † Polysaturated Fat 2g † † Monounsaturated Fat 1g † † Cholesterol 30mg 10 Sodium 15mg 1 Total Carbohydrate 5g 2* Sugars 0g † †
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol) 500 IU 5,000 1,665 (as Gamma tocopherol) 200mg † † Vitamin K 2.3mg † 2,875
Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 725mg † † Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 275mg † †
Omega-6 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Gamma-linolenic Acid (GLA) 60m † †
* Percent Daily Values (DV) based on a 2000 calorie diet † Daily Value not established Ingredients Oil blend (fish oil [anchovy, mackerel and/or sardine], borage oil), water, xylitol, glycerine, gum arabic, natural orange flavor, d-alpha, gamma and natural mixed tocopherol (derived from refined soybean oil), citric acid, xanthan gum, guar gum, beta carotene, sorbic acide, ascorbyl palmitate, phytonadione, menaquinone. DOES NOT CONTAIN: milk, egg, corn, tree nuts, wheat, peanuts, yeast, gluten, casein, sugar, starch, artificial flavor or colors.
Supplement Facts and Dosage
SpeechNutrients speak smooth™ contains a patented blend of concentrated and purified omega-3s from fish oil (EPA and DHA), natural vitamin E (d-alpha and gamma tocopherols), Vitamin K (K1 and K2), borage oil (GLA) and natural orange flavor.
How should I begin supplementing with SpeechNutrients speak™?
If your child is not currently taking omega-3 fish oil, start with ½ a tablespoon (7.5 mL) daily. After 2 weeks, increase serving to 1 tablespoon (15 mL) daily. Continue to increase servings by ½ a tablespoon every 2 weeks until reaching a possible dosage of 3 tablespoons daily divided throughout the day (eg. with meals.) Best taken with fat containing meal or snack.
It is recommended to administer speak smooth on a daily basis for a minimum of a 4 month period to adequately determine potential benefits.
Consuming 1 tablespoon, 2 to 3 times per day is suggested for maximum effectiveness. Toddlers and smaller children may see the most benefits with 1-2 tablespoons daily while older and larger children may see the most benefits with 2-3 tablespoons daily. Regular supplementation throughout the day is optimal.
Speak™ smooth may be taken on its own, or it can be blended with non-heated foods (e.g., pudding, yogurt) or liquids for consumption.
If your child is already taking individual fish oil and vitamin E supplements: First determine the current serving amount of the active omega-3 (EPA and DHA) and vitamin E (if any) that your child is receiving with the existing supplement* (usually listed clearly on the “Supplement Facts” panel. Be sure to determine the amount per serving or per capsule). This will provide you a baseline from which to start for an equivalent serving. Some families administer both “High EFA” and “High EPA” supplements. Shown below is a chart illustrating the amounts of each ingredient and how 1 Tbsp of speak smooth provides the essential equivalent to three capsules of the other supplements plus additional nutrients in SpeechNutrients speak™ provide added benefits and nutrient balance, not found in other omega-3 supplements. *Feel free to contact SpeechNutrients at 1-800-471-0358 if you have any questions.
EPA 270 425 725 mg DHA 180 100 275 mg GLA 55 60 mg Vitamin E (Alpha) 500 IU Vitamin E (Gamma) 200 mg Vitamin K1 2 mg Vitamin K2 300 mcg
Once you have determined the amount you are currently giving, select a comparable amount of SpeechNutrients speak™ Smooth and begin with that serving (be sure to discontinue the other omega 3 supplements). Many families begin with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of SpeechNutrients speak™Smooth daily. After two weeks, increase intake to 1 ½ Tbsp daily. And after another 2 weeks, increase intake to 2 Tbsps daily up to a possible intake of 3 Tbsps daily. Most families report success with a transition period, that is, replacing omega-3 in the current supplement with SpeechNutrients speak™ Smooth over time.
What is the correct serving of speak™ Smooth for my child’s height, weight, and age?
Every child is different and you will know the “best” amount by knowing and observing your child. If your child is not currently taking omega-3, begin supplementing with one Tbsp (15 mL) daily (with food or snack) and increase slowly. Toddlers and smaller children may see the most benefit with 1 to 2 Tbsps per day, while older and larger children and adults may do best with 3 Tbsps a day, divided throughout the day. We suggest working with your healthcare practitioner if you choose to use increased amounts. A guideline is that if you don’t see additional benefit with additional servings, then stay with the lower serving.
How often and at what times should speak™ Smooth be taken?
It is preferable to provide SpeechNutrients speak™ Smooth throughout the day during a child’s most active time – in the morning and afternoon, not at night. Start with the morning meal and divide the serving throughout the day. For example, 1 Tbsp with breakfast and 1 Tbsp with an afternoon snack. If your child is in school, you may ask your school nurse to provide the supplementation. Depending on your state, you may need a note from your child’s doctor. If you are not able to provide supplementation throughout the day, give half the serving in the morning and the balance with dinner (best not directly before bed as omega-3s may cause increased mental activity).
How should I give SpeechNutrients speak™ to my child?
Most children find speak Smooth delicious and prefer to take it straight from a spoon. Others enjoy Smooth mixed into their favorite smoothie or beverage. Speak Smooth may also be mixed into pudding, yogurt, or any non-heated food or beverage.
When should I begin to notice beneficial changes in my child?
Every child is different and responses vary. Occasionally, families report beneficial changes in their children within the first few days of supplementation. Others notice advances in speech and coordination after several weeks. A number of factors may influence a child’s response, such as consistency and serving, co-existing conditions (GI issues, allergies), previous supplementation, transition time, and adherence to special diets.
The time of year can impact response as well due to summer allergies, winter cold and flu season, etc. It is recommended to give SpeechNutrients speak™ Smooth on a daily basis (consistency is key) for a minimum of a 4 month period to determine if your child benefits from the nutrients in speak. Identifying and addressing underlying health issues may improve your child’s success. (GI problems and/or allergies are quite common and should be investigated.)
Can older children benefit from speak™Smooth?
Families have reported positive results in older children. It may take longer to see benefits in older children, depending on the child’s health status and health history and underlying GI issues and/or allergies. Follow the suggested use and increase over time.
My child seems more emotional, weepy, agitated. Is this normal?
Emotional outbursts and transient moods are common when children begin supplementing with omega-3 supplements. Each child is different. If your child has been ‘very compliant’, a change in this behavior may be considered normal. Parents have reported the “Tasmanian Devil” effect, where children become very active, oppositional but in time (2-3 weeks) rebalance.
What are some possible side-effects associated with omega-3 and vitamin E supplementation? (The issues described are typically associated with all omega-3 and vitamin E supplements – not unique to SpeechNutrients speak™.)
Some children may experience loose stools when they begin supplementation with oil-based capsules; this usually resolves quickly (great for constipated kids!)
Moodiness, irritability, and emotional outbursts are commonly reported in children during the first few days/weeks of omega-3 supplementation; however, this usually comes with increased babbling, imitation of sounds, and eventually words to sentences.
Although theoretical, experts believe it is best to be off fish oil 2 weeks before a surgery due to increased bleeding risk, given the platelet effects of omega-3.
Avoid using products such as ibuprofen (motrin, advil) or aspirin since they increase the risk of bleeding, so the combination (omega-3, vitamin E, and these medicines) could theoretically heighten the risk of bleeding. Acetaminophen (Tylenol®) may be an option under the direction of your healthcare provider.
Individuals on blood thinners such as Coumadin should not be using fish oil and vitamin E.
How speak™ Smooth Works
Speak smooth combines key nutrients for healthy speech and coordination in a delicious, smooth liquid.
The highly concentrated omega-3 found in speak smooth works synergistically with the antioxidant vitamin E to reduce oxidation and promote a healthy inflammatory response. Speak smooth contains two different types of vitamin E: d-alpha tocopherol and gamma tocopherol. Gamma tocopherol provides protection against nitrogen-based free radicals which alpha tocopherol cannot do. D-alpha tocopherol is a powerful antioxidant working in the lipid portion of cell membranes. Without adequate levels of d-alpha, omega-3 fats oxidize and are unlikely to remain in a functional form. The two nutrients work synergistically to prevent oxidation of the fat-containing outer layer of cells and enhance the health benefits of omega-3.
EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids
EPA and DHA always occur together in nature and work synergistically in the body. EPA provides metabolic support for proper nerve & brain cell function while DHA provides structural support. Residing primarily in cell membranes, EPA supports immune and inflammatory conditions. DHA is primarily found in brain cell membranes and supports brain function. These highly functional omega-3 fats and vitamin E are needed to counteract malabsorption and oxidative stress.
Due to the theoretical blood thinning effects of omega-3 and vitamin E, vitamin K (a normal and healthy blood clotting nutrient) is also included. This precise combination of pharmaceutical grade ingredients is delivered in a delicious, smoothie-type liquid that kids will actually ask to take.
Speak smooth formulation
The new speak smooth contains all the key nutrients of the original speak in an emulsified form. Emulsified oils are easier to digest and may be better absorbed in the body resulting in enhanced bioavailability.
The SpeechNutrients speak™ formulation is the result of nine years of real life experiences from parents and their children who took action based on ground-breaking research on how essential fatty acids combined with vitamin E impact child development. After the exact formula was specified, the omega-3 experts at SpeechNutrients partnered with the world's leading producers to find the purest forms of ingredients in their appropriate biochemical form for optimal absorption and utilization. The result is SpeechNutrients speak™.
Parents were looking for nutritional support for healthy speech development
Parents began supplementing their children with purified essential omega-3 fatty acids. These parents were able to exchange information via the internet, support each other, and share their successes. Their tenacious spirits and positive experiences illuminated useful information that contributed to further research.
A noted pediatrician became involved
Knowing the benefits of omega-3 fats, a noted pediatrician directed her investigative skills to go further. As a result of her work and discoveries, she developed the precise formula that led to the patented formulation, now available as SpeechNutrients speak™.
The patented SpeechNutrients speak™ formulation was exclusively licensed to SpeechNutrients from Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland (CHRCO).
After the formulation was developed and patented, SpeechNutrients researched and identified the purest ingredients in their appropriate forms for optimal absorption and utilization. Because this supplement was created for children, many with sensory and allergy issues, the ingredients had to be natural and guaranteed hypoallergenic.
Knowing that parents were struggling to find and combine the 7 different nutrients included in the SpeechNutrients speak™patented formula, SpeechNutrients simplified the process by combining all into one easy to use supplement. SpeechNutrients speak™ is the only product of its kind developed to support normal and healthy speech development and maintenance.
SpeechNutrients speak™ contains pharmaceutical grade omega-3. Pharmaceutical grade fish oil means the fish oil has been manufactured at a true pharmaceutical API (active pharmaceutical ingredient) facility. Due to strict standards and audits developed by the pharmaceutical industry, pharmaceutical grade products must show greater than 99 percent purity without any binders, fillers, excipients, dyes, or unknown substances. SpeechNutrients speak meets and exceeds all US and EU standards for purity.
speak™ does not contain:
- Heavy Metals
- Artificial flavors
- Artificial colors
- Artificial sweeteners
- Mystery "filler" ingredients
- We know the source: Our principal supplier can certify when and where the fish is caught. The approved fishery and facility operates only 4 weeks per year in two 2-week seasons – the only period when the ships are allowed to catch sardines and anchovies. The entire batch is processed within 48 hours of the catch. The processing plant is built specifically for fish oil production, and it is thoroughly sanitized and fully automated with a computerized control center.
- Time and temperature matter: High-grade fish oil cannot be heated above 180 degrees C because trans fats and impurities begin to form and the omega-3 fats can be altered. High-grade fish oil should not be exposed to heat for more than a few seconds. To maintain exceptional product integrity, we use a very low pressure vacuum and temperatures below 100 degrees for less than one second.
- Our product is highly concentrated and incomparable to other fish oil: Our fish oil is refined to a 90% concentration of omega-3s, making our oil the most potent source of these healthy, essential fats required for human health. Finally, natural antioxidants are added. Our fish oil is held in an oxygen-free environment during the entire process. Our fish oil is then packaged and sealed immediately, ensuring its freshness and potency. Our product is guaranteed to be top-quality, delivering all the benefits of omega-3 in an effective, convenient capsule.
What are Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
Omega-3 fats are unique and essential dietary fats. They are not made in the body and must be consumed through diet or supplements. EPA and DHA are the omega-3 fats found in fish and fish oil and are considered the most functional omega-3 fats. While some consider omega-3 fats to be a vitamin because they are required in the diet, they are not formally recognized as vitamins. Instead, they are called essential dietary fats.
EPA and DHA work individually and together to support neurological function and improve cellular activity. Both EPA and DHA work in cell membranes. Healthy cellular metabolism is central (i.e. critical) for normal functioning of all biological (i.e. human) pathways. Specifically, EPA resides in cell membranes and supports healthy cellular metabolism. Without adequate EPA, inflammatory pathways are increased and this compromises normal cellular function. There is no dietary substitute for DHA. DHA is required for normal and healthy brain and nerve development and maintenance.
What is vitamin E?
Vitamin E is a family of fat-soluble vitamins that work in the body primarily as antioxidants. They are considered valuable and important vitamins for this reason. The richest food sources of vitamin E are nuts and oils.
While 8 forms of vitamin E exist in various amounts in foods (4 forms of tocopherols and 4 forms of tocotrienols), nearly all of the research in humans has focused on the d-alpha tocopherol form. It exists in the body in the greatest amount. More recently, we have learned about the importance of gamma-tocopherol and the importance of balance between these 2 forms of vitamin E.
About d-alpha tocopherol:
- It is transported and stored in blood and tissues and this is where it works as an antioxidant.
- As an antioxidant it protects body tissues (cells) from damage that occurs as a result of normal metabolism. Our bodies, as living organs, are constantly in a state of flux and d-alpha tocopherol is simply a part of the machinery designed to maintain health and normal regeneration of cells. Said another way, d-alpha tocopherol protects cells from oxidation.
- As an antioxidant, it works with other fats, such as fish oil, to prevent oxidation and thereby supports cellular health.
- It has minor roles in reducing inflammation and it also works to maintain healthy blood vessels.
- Supplementing with d-alpha tocopherol increases the need for gamma-tocopherol and supplementing with both improves the function of both.
- It is measured in International Units (IU) and is the form of vitamin E included in the Dietary Reference Intake.
- It is available in natural (d-alpha) or synthetic (d,l-alpha) forms.
- Like d-alpha tocopherol, it works as an antioxidant but gamma-tocopherol is structurally different from d-alpha and works in different pathways in the body.
- It has minor roles in reducing inflammation.
- Supplementing with d-alpha tocopherol increases the need for gamma-tocopherol and supplementing with both improves the function of both.
- It is measured in milligram (mg) units.
Why are both d-alpha and gamma-tocopherols in SpeechNutrients speak™?
SpeechNutrients speak™ has been carefully formulated to provide the optimal amount of both d-alpha and gamma tocopherols that are important for individuals seeking normal and healthy speech development. Although the reasons are unclear today, evidence indicates that these individuals appear to have an increased need for both of these antioxidants and at the same time, may not absorb them well. Remarkable benefit has been observed from adequate supplementation (right amount, balance and regular intake). Further, d-alpha and gamma tocopherols improve the actions of omega-3 fat, and protect them from oxidation as well. SpeechNutrients speak™ contains the natural forms of d-alpha and gamma tocopherol.
In summary: d-alpha and gamma work together as key antioxidants and work along with omega-3 fats to support neurological health and provide essential nutrition.
What is vitamin K?
Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin with various functions in the body. In the past 10 years, we’ve learned that vitamin K has roles in maintaining heart and bone health, as well as being a critical component for normal and healthy blood clotting. There are 3 forms of vitamin K, but only K1 and K2 are consumed by humans as vitamins. Vitamin K1 is found in plants, and vitamin K2 is found in animal products. They both have unique and important functions.
Why is vitamin K in SpeechNutrients speak™?
Vitamin K1 and vitamin K2 are included in SpeechNutrients speak™ primarily to maintain nutrient balance. This is particularly important with long-term supplementation. It is important to support a proper balance between vitamins E and K. Because individuals supplementing with SpeechNutrients speak™ appear to have an increased need for vitamin E, this in turn increases the need for vitamin K. SpeechNutrients speak™ contains the natural forms of vitamins K1 and K2.
What is GLA?
GLA (gamma linolenic acid) is an omega-6 fatty acid derived from borage oil, and it works to support the EPA and DHA found in omega-3 fish oil.
Some basics On the Making of SpeechNutrients speak smooth:
- Serving size: 1 tablespoon (15 mL), providing 7 concentrated and pure nutrients, for ease and convenience.
- Flavor: Based on results from child tasting panels, orange was selected.
- Amount of flavor: While speak smooth tastes delicious by itself, it can easily be blended into any non-heated food or liquid (such as yogurts, pudding, etc.)
- Cost: SpeechNutrients speak™ costs about 50% less than purchasing the ingredients individually.
- Vitamin E: SpeechNutrients speak™ contains increased vitamin E to provide important antioxidant support and protection for growing nerve and brain cells. Among other things, the vitamin E enables the essential omega-3 and 6 fats to work better. The low servings of vitamin E in typical fish oil products function only as a natural preservative in the capsule itself and provide virtually no physiological benefits.